There are two ways to install Elementor Pro. Both seem to work, but three times today I discovered that one of the methods will cause a fatal error that will take down the front and backend of your WordPress installation if you install the Essential Addons plugin.
This post describes how to avoid the problem.
Route 1: The one with the problem1
- Install Elementor Pro without having first installed Elementor
- During the installation / activation process you will be warned that Pro cannot function without Elementor and it will offer to install it for you.
- Activation proceeds and Pro installs
- Enter licence key to complete Activation
- So far so good.
- Install Essential Addons plugin
- Installation succeeds
- Activate Essential Addons
- WordPress crashes with the error:
Route 2: The one without the problem
- Install Elementor plugin and activate it
- Install Elementor Pro plugin and activate it
- Install Essential Addons plugin and activate
This procedure works.
It’s not apparent whether this is a problem with Elementor Pro or Essential Addons Pro but there seems to be something about the Route 1 Elementor Pro installation process that causes the Essential Add Ons activator to throw the fatal error and kill the WordPress installation. I have reported it to both developers
Just to add to the mix, the next day I installed Phlox Theme – one of the most recommended themes to use with Elementor. The install went well and I activated the theme. Then I followed the suggested route of installing the Phlox add ons. And that caused the same fatal error to occur.
Clearly this is not just an Elementor – Essential Addons problem.
- That is, it has a problem IF you want to install the Essential Addons Pro plugin. I haven’t tested it with the free version of that plugin. Nor do I know if there are consequences if you don’t install Essential Addons plugin at all. After three re-installs of WordPress, I wasn’t up for another failure.