This article describes the process for replicating a WordPress / TNG installation on a hosted environment to a Synology DiskStation. It was created to support setting up a longstop service, in case the hosted environment should fail.
In this example the WordPress and TNG data is sourced from a hosted service and utilises the TNG WordPress plugin developed by Heather Feuerhelm. It also leans heavily on work done by others, including Steve Davis, the TNG Wiki Community and Cees Kloosterman.
Note that installing phpMy Admin will also install two prerequisite packages, MariaDB 10 and php 5.6, if they are not already installed.
This is a security warning that the phpMyAdmin config file is too freely accessible to anyone who has access to the system which, as this is a web application, is pretty much anyone.
If you see this error you need to look for inherited permissions that are too generous and reduce them to “read only” in File Station. The config file must NOT have write permissions.
- Download WordPress from wordpress.org
- Unzip file to a temporary location (or more permanent if you intend to do multiple installations.)
- Find the folder level in the unzipped folder that contains these items:
- Copy those items to \web\<FOLDER>, where <FOLDER> represents your chosen name for the subfolder in which the new WordPress installation will be place.
NOTE: If you have already installed the Synology Package version of WordPress, this will occupy a folder called “wordpress”
Choose a suitable title. In this example we will use “wptng” because both WordPress and TNG will occupy this space.
- Set permissions for new folder, subfolder and files
- Edit config file to enable direct download of updates. By default the WordPress.org installation does not allow the app to update directly and requires the use of FTP. To change this, use Synology Text Editor to add two lines to the end of wp-config-sample.php
//**The next line allows direct downloads*/ define('FS_METHOD', 'direct');
TNG Wiki Page states:
“In WordPress Admin, go to the Appearance menu and then the Install Themes tab to search for a suitable theme. Considerations to a theme that is suitable for use with TNG include:
- should be flexible width, so that wide TNG pages showing for example charts can be made wider
- should allow for choices of pages with sidebar if you want to show a sidebar on most WordPress pages, and no sidebar which is best for maximising width on the TNG page
- the Atahualpa can also be configured to work with TNG
- the Weaver Theme also works with TNG
- the Asokay Theme also has been reported to work with TNG.”
The Suffusion theme has been discontinued. Atahualpa and Asokay have not been updated since 2016 and are unlikely to be compatible with the latest WordPress releases. Weaver Xtreme may work for you.
- Any theme that complies with items 1 & 2 above will work. Sweetness by BNE Creative does but you won’t find it in the Themes Directory because it is a premium theme, although not expensive.
21 Apr 2018